History of St John's Episcopal Church in Bedford Indiana

This page is a work in progress as we work to share the history and stories that help to make St John's the congregation that it is today. Check back and see what additional content we are gathering to share.

Windows

During our Centennial Celebration (1906-2006) we compiled this summary of the history of our windows. We invite you to view and enjoy our historic sanctuary windows, displaying a living memorial of peace and fellowship.

 

Nave End window: Dec 21, 1906

Donor: Friends in many cities, through Men’s Church Guild

Choir Gable window: Dec. 16, 1907

Donor: Brotherhood of St. Andrew

Nave Side: Easter, 1908

Donor: Mrs. William C. Otte

In honor of: Charles and Sarah Ellis

Nave Side: Easter, 1908

Donor: Mr. & Mrs. George E. Lary

In honor of: John and Isabel Daggy

Nave Side: Oct. 4, 1908

Donor: Rev. & Mrs. Wm. C. Otte

In honor of: Jane Crossman Otte

 

Nave Side: Easter, 1909

Donor: Mrs. Grace Weyerbacher

In Memory of: August Weyerbacher

Altar St. Matthew: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: John W. Quayle & Family

In Memory of: Emmaline A. Quayle

Alar St. Mark: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Mr & Mrs. A.E. Dickinson

In Memory of: Jeannette Baird Dickinson

Altar St. Luke: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Mr & Mrs. A.E. Dickinson

In Memory of: Frederick & Emma Dickinson

Altar St John: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Miss Anah Chamberlain

In Memory of: John B. Chamberlain

 

Choir Side: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Mr. & Mrs. George E. Lary

In Memory of: V.E. & Mary W. Lary

Transept Front: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Mrs. Lula LaForce Mrs. Frank Hatfield

In Memory of: Davide Sheldon LaForce

Transept End: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Congregation

In Memory of: Moses Fell Dunn (Benefactor)

Transept Back: Nov. 25, 1919

Donor: Sunday School

Vestibule: Easter, 1920

Donor: William S. Whyte

In Memory of: Clement & Mary Whyte, and son John Gilbert

Nave End
Nave End
press to zoom
Moses Fell Dunn
Moses Fell Dunn
press to zoom
V.E. and Mary W. Lary
V.E. and Mary W. Lary
press to zoom
Gift of the Sunday School
Gift of the Sunday School
press to zoom
Jeannette Baird Dickinson
Jeannette Baird Dickinson
press to zoom
Emmaline A. Quayle
Emmaline A. Quayle
press to zoom
Frederick and Emma Dickinson
Frederick and Emma Dickinson
press to zoom
John B. Chamerlain
John B. Chamerlain
press to zoom
Clement and Mary Whyte
Clement and Mary Whyte
press to zoom

John W. and Emmeline Quayle

In November 2016 the awnings outside were replaced thanks to the support of a donor. During the replacement a limestone carving above the courtyard door was exposed to light for the first in many years. We wanted to share this history from the archives to help tell the story of the limestone carving.

 

John W. and Emmeline Quayle were among the first members of St. John's; both were born on the Isle of Man in the British Isles. John W. Quayle was a master stone carver and came with others to Bedford at the height of the limestone industry. In 1905 when St. John's was built, he created and donated the carving above the courtyard door. An awning has protected the carving from the elements and deterioration for years. Recently when the awnings at St. John's were being replaced, the carving was briefly exposed to the sunlight in all of its beauty.

 

Emmeline Quayle died in 1917 and her husband bought a stained glass window, which is in the chancel by the altar, in her memory. He also made their family gravestone, which is at the Greenhill Cemetery, Bedford.

The 1924 Twenty Yearbook Anniversary Yearbook features the courtyard doorway.